If you type in "how to stop procrastinating" on YouTube you'll likely be presented with countless videos with view counts in the millions. Content creators, coaches and influencers all presenting the solution to our procrastination issues.
Things like the pomodoro technique. Time blocking. Mindset and motivation techniques.
There's no shortage of proposed fixes.
I've always been skeptical of all of it. If it was working, we'd all be making rapid progress and procrastination would be relegated to the history books. But this isn't the case.
We all still procrastinate. And over the past few years of self-observation, I've noticed that it doesn't matter what technique or system I use if there's something deeper going on.
Imagine my jubilation when my suspicions were confirmed. By science!
And in this episode of the ikario podcast, Shane & I interview Dr. Fuschia Sirois from the university of Sheffield on this science and the underlying causes of procrastination.
In this episode...
Some of the points covered in today's conversation:
- 00:00 - Intro
- 03:38 - What is procrastination?
- 14:04 - Why does shame fuel procrastination?
- 19:45 - What practical solutions work to help reduce procrastination?
- 27:11 - Parallels with Radical Honesty
- 32:12 - Why resolving procrastination should be a priority
- 35:49 - Dealing with the "too many things" problem
- 42:51 - Where to go for more