Most of us live at the mercy of our thoughts. Biases, limiting beliefs and neurotic thinking are a prison that cripples our ability to achieve success and to feel content with our lives.
If we want to break free from the human zoo and achieve our highest potential, we need to escape the prison inside our heads.
But, how do we do that? Where's the key? And most importantly, where do we start?
As ever, the How to Get Your Sh*t Together series is here to provide you with the top 3 highest leverage interventions. If you want to free your mind and start using it to your advantage, these are the 3 simplest and most powerful tools to start with.
In this episode...
Some of the points covered in today's conversation:
- How reading books is the most high leverage habit you can build for improving your mind in every way.
- Audiobooks vs written - what's more effective?
- Why everyone lives in an information bubble - and the damage this causes.
- The vital importance of stepping out of the information bubble and how to do it.
- Cognitive biases and why everyone is wrong (most of the time)
- Why we choose to focus on information that supports our currently held beliefs and values.
- Why the more you invest in something, the less willing you are to see the faults and potential issues with it.
- The fake guru playbook and how they take advantage of cognitive bias to get people's money.
- Why we discount future rewards vs instant gratification.
- The availability heuristic - why things that are easier to remember are given more importance in our minds because we can't think of anything else.
- Why learning about biases matters for reaching your highest potential.
- Examples of the most effective mental models for better decision making, goal setting and clear thinking.
Links & Resources
- The Great Mental Models: General Thinking Concepts by Shane Parrish
- The Knowledge Project Podcast with Shane Parrish
- Superthinking by Gabriel Weinberg