In today's episode, I'm speaking with TJ Power, a neuroscientist and founder of The Digital Mind, a company that helps organizations, schools and individuals find healthier ways to work and interact in the digital world that we live in.
“Human beings are living completely misaligned to our biological design.”
In this fascinating conversation, TJ shares what he has learned about the sources of mental health issues and general suffering in our world and he shares many practical solutions with us.
We talk about his DOSE model and he explains how the neurotransmitters Dopamine, Oxytocin, Serotonin and Endorphins are key to mental wellbeing. Listen in to discover:
- What dopamine actually does and why it's undeservedly getting a bad reputation.
- Why we feel bad when we overuse social media, overeat junk food or over-indulge in general (and why this is actually an adaptive, positive response from our body).
- Loneliness, social connection and the role of oxytocin.
- Why serotonin really wants you to be a hunter-gatherer and how this relates to mental health issues and dissatisfaction in the modern world.
- How to live more naturally and ditch digital addictions (even if you love tech and gadgets).
- A neuroscientist's daily habits for mental health and greater life satisfaction.
- How porn affects mental health and TJ's thoughts on the NoFap movement.
- And much more!
- Find TJ here on Instagram
- TJ's company The Digital Mind
- How to avoid "morning FOMO" and why this is a key reason people feel bad during the day.
- My struggles with depression & the steps I took to overcome it and rebalance my mental health.