10 Years of Journaling, Daily
In this episode Shane and Dave Danzeise, an old collogue and friend, share a bit of catchup on what's happening in Bali, before turning their attention to journaling. Shane and Dave share their devotion to writing practices as the best tools for self development.
Dave has bee consistently journaling on a daily basis for 10 years now and has learnt a thing or two along the way. He shares his process and how his practice has benefitted him to better understand himself and grow over the years.
Dave's Practice Overview
Dave has two main types of journaling. There are the planned daily, weekly, monthly and yearly writing sessions. And then there are the "In The Moment" sessions, which come up as you need them. He has 4 main focus points which make up the content of the writing.
- Analysis and processing
- Future Growth
- Totem (Positive life event documentation)
Much of Dave's writing focusses on reflection of the previous day. Highlighting positive events from each day, even on a bad day, creates a positive memory. Consistently practicing this will leave you feeling much more positive about your life when looking back.
Check out the chapters below for more details.
In this episode...
Some of the points covered in today's conversation:
- 00:00 Intro chat (What's happening in Bali?)
- 09:13 Daily Journaling for 10 years
- 14:49 Highlight Journaling - Reframe a negative experience
- 19:34 Digitise your journal
- 21:20 Reviewing, Tracking & Systems
- 27:35 Tracking Perfectionism
- 32:05 Benefits of Introspective Writing
- 36:19 Upgrade your thinking
- 39:23 Do it for yourself - Remove the pressure to perform
- 42:24 Copy the process, not the result
- 44:43 How to do consistent daily journaling
- 52:48 Outro chat
Links & Resources
- Link to Dave's 3 Step Writing Formula: https://www.thequestforawesome.com/free/