Let's say that you've got your shit together. You're eating well and exercising regularly. Your social connections are fulfilling. Money is no longer a problem and the work you do is mostly enjoyable.
Overall, you're in a much better place in life.
Now the question is, what now? What do you do when you have fully improved yourself? Improve yourself some more?
Is that what life is? Just a constant churn of improvement?
It can be hard to avoid this self-improvement treadmill. The question of "what next" is a question that is rarely addressed in most self-development content. That's the question we attempt to tackle in our latest episode.
As always, we provide 3 points of advice in order to answer this question and help you find meaning, purpose and virtue in your life that stretches beyond the scope of self-help.
In this episode...
Some of the points covered in today's conversation:
- We discuss why most self-development falls short of answering the question - "what next?"
- Why developing personal power and becoming a force to be reckoned with in the world is essential before trying to change the world.
- A framework for setting meaningful goals in life that not only benefit you, but the people in your life and the world at large.
- Why you need to free yourself from the curse of "excessive self-concern" if you want to find meaning.
- The widespread issue of a lack of self-acceptance and how resolving this issue is necessary.
- The downsides of excessive self-development and what happens if you get stuck doing things just for you.
- An important question to ask - what would you do if nobody could see?
- Why empowering and helping others is one of the most reliable ways to cultivate a sense of meaning and purpose in your life.
- What it means to truly empower people.
- How to overcome the destructive inner voice in your head that prevents you helping others and finding meaning in doing so.
- Shane & Ollie answer: "What would you do if you money were no object?" (an important question for meaning & purpose).