“The most important thing about a technology is how it changes people.” - Jaron Lanier
If you spend a substantial amount of time on social media, for any reason, you are being manipulated.
Documentaries such as The Social Dilemma by Tristan Harris and books such as Ten Arguments For Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now by Jaron Lanier convey the pervasive threat of social media and how these platforms hijack the human brain in order to make money for advertisers.
At ikario, we're all about helping you free yourself & live a bad-ass life on your own terms. Trust us, we aren't being melodramatic when we say that social media and the algorithm are most directly opposing force to your inner and outer freedom.
In this podcast, Shane & myself discuss why this is the case. We talk about the algorithm, social media and the mass manipulation of human behavior we currently see today.
And as always, we help you break free.
In this episode...
Some of the points covered in today's conversation:
- Why the algorithms and social media are one of the most directly opposing forces to our personal freedom to live a good life.
- "We are showing people what they want to see" - why this story that we're most commonly told about social media is simply not true.
- It is not just human behaviour that changes the algorithms. It's algorithms that change human behaviour and here are a few examples.
- The phenomenon of anti-woke/feminist Call Of Duty channels - and how this bizarre pattern emerged.
- Why we are all vulnerable to the behaviour change that algorithms and social media encourage.
- The bizarre unstoppable rise of "Instagram face." - and why this happens.
- Why it's essential to simply not play the game if you're serious about living the best life possible.
- How the algorithms are elevating people to the level of celebrity without merit.
- What are Shane & Ollie's spirit vegetable?
Links & Resources
- The Instagram Reality Subreddit
- Listen to the Your Undivided Attention podcast here.
- Good books to dive deeper: Ten Arguments For Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now by Jaron Lanier, Zucked by Roger McNamee, Throwing Rocks at the Google Bus by Douglas Rushkoff.